mardi 29 mars 2011

Opening scene task

As part of our work, we had to choose randomly 3 opening scenes of movies (two that I know and one that I don't know).
For this project, I choose three opening scenes that helped me on my project but also that showed me what to do or not to do in my project.


I am going to start with the opening scene of Se7en (the movie that I didn't see).
The opening scene of Se7en is a really specific and original opening scene for one main reason : it doesn't tell anything about the movie explicitly : To really understand it, the spectator has to "go over the image" and think about the meaning of this introduction.
This intro shows hands doing a lot of different things : writing, crossing, cutting, sewing papers, turning pages of a book ... All those facts, if not related to the movie itself, does not show anything to the spectator.
This opening scene helps creating the atmosphere of the movie


These short cuts based on objects inspired me for the second part of my opening scene in which I am using short cuts that shows one action each.



This is the second opening scene part of my openning scene task.
It is the opening scene of the movie Eat Drink Man Woman.
The opening scene of this movie has many similarities with Se7en's opening scene : close quick shots on hands and on their work. But this scene also uses long shots on, for example when the chef put the water in the cauldron with the chicken (3m02s). Another important difference is that this scene is very explicit compared to Se7en's : we can easily understand that the old man is a chef, professionally or not, and that he is cooking for a special occasion.
An interresting part of the opening scene is the credit : the credits are presented very infrequently. For example, the first credit is presented at the 35th second (on a scene that lasts 4 minutes). They are presented in the original language (taiwanese) in characters. Only on 2m41 (C.S.C) and 3m02 (Tim Squyres), european font appears. This helps creating an atmosphere based on asian cooking. The credits are also shown during the scenes which helps to not interrupt the ambiance created.


For my last opening scene, I choose a really famous credit scene (it is part of the opening scene but there is a part of the movie before it) : The James Bond GoldenEye's credit scene.
James Bond's film are really famous for their opening scene : they always present a short action part and original opening credits with guns and girls, symbols of the movie.
This specific opening scene is based on a mix between real shots and computer images. For example, at 0m40s, we can see a "real" girl combined with a background created on computer. This is obviously a technique I cannot do by myself but it shows how important can be the opening scene.
The opening scene combined with the short action part creates a really good ambiance based on the main subjects of the movie : action.



All this work on opening scenes helped me in many ways but overall, it helped meto define some particularities of my opening scene :
-I will put my credits on a black background (not during the shots but between them)
-

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire